Woman who ‘killed and decapitated friend’ seen on CCTV dragging bulky suitcase around

A woman accused of murdering her friend from church was seen on video dragging around a bulky blue suitcase, allegedly containing the woman’s body, a court heard.

Property developer Jemma Mitchell, 38, is on trial for the murder of Mee Kuen Chong, 67, whose headless corpse was found in Salcombe, Devon on June 27 last year.

Her skull was discovered in nearby undergrowth a few days later.

Prosecutors say Mitchell killed Ms Chong at her Wembley home in London on June 11 before driving to Devon to deposit her body 15 days later.

On Thursday, jurors at the Old Bailey, where Mitchell’s trial is taking place, viewed CCTV clips tracking Ms Chong’s last known sighting.

On June 9 last year, she was seen appearing to walk for exercise in Chaplin Road where she lived accompanied by her lodger, crane operator David Klein.

Just before 6.30am on June 11, Mitchell was seen on video walking from her address in Brondesbury Park in Willesden with a large blue suitcase and backpack.

She arrived in Chaplin Road at 8.01am and emerged just over five hours later at 1.13pm carrying the blue suitcase and another smaller bag allegedly containing Ms Chong’s financial paperwork.

The jury was shown CCTV images of her dragging the bags on the street and through a grass verge for two hours before being picked up by a minicab.

In that time, jurors heard she had called various cab companies nine times before a driver collected her for the 40-minute journey home.

She was dropped outside her next door neighbour’s house and then transferred the suitcases from the driveway to her home, it is claimed.

Later that evening, she went to St Thomas’s Hospital in central London to be treated for a broken finger, saying she shut it in a door – a claim the prosecution say is a lie.

The court heard the blue suitcase was not seen again until June 26 last year.

That day, it is alleged Mitchell hired a car and drove to Salcombe with the body in the suitcase stashed in the boot.

Ms Chong’s decapitated body was discovered in woods by holidaymakers the next day and her skull was found in nearby undergrowth a few days later.

Jurors have heard that Mitchell murdered Ms Chong because she wanted to get hundreds of thousands of pounds to pay for repairs to her home.

Mitchell has denied murder and the trial continues.